ASCs share 2021 accomplishments and lessons learned, 2022 goals
As we approach the end of 2021, it's time to reflect on the year that was while looking forward to the year that will be. To learn about the 2021 experiences and 2022 objectives of ambulatory surgery centers (ASCs) throughout the country, we did what we have done every year for the past five years: reached out to the users of "The Note Pad," an online community of surgery center professionals exclusively for Surgical Notes clients, and asked them to share their thoughts. Once again, they came through with some terrific perspectives and insight.
The following represent a selection of responses we received from ASCs. Note: Responses have been lightly edited for clarity and style.
Q: What is an accomplishment your ASC achieved in 2021 that stands out?
• "We found success with physician recruiting and now have an
even stronger clinical team."
• "We purchased the location to build our new ASC so that we own the property outright instead of renting the space. We've also entered negotiations to purchase the majority share of another ASC."
• "We broke our record for number of surgeries performed — and we did it with the same number of staff."
• "We started a total joint program and added a da Vinci robot."
• "We added a few surgeons to our center. They are helping us grow our case volume and capture the procedures leaving the inpatient environment."
• "We achieved accreditation. It was a great accomplishment for the entire center."
• "We made the top 5 percent in Newsweek's 'America's Best Ambulatory Surgery Centers' list."